Wednesday 18 October 2023

Chatting with Jayantada

Excerpts from my Whatsapp conversations with Jayantadada since the 2020 Covid lockdown. 

Photo taken by Bisheshwar Das in Jayantada's home 'Chandrabhaga' in Tinkonia Bagicha, Cuttack on 9th April 2023, my last meeting with Jayantada.


25th March 2020: About Covid:

At times the whole thing makes me laugh. We’ve raped our earth enough.


About how he spends his time during the Covid lockdown:

I try to learn a new word every day.


3rd April: In response to my request to him to stay inside:

I am inside, Meenaxi, but can’t seem to keep away the worlds outside.

 

On my asking him to write during the lockdown.

I don’t know if I can, Meenaxi, for this is a time which never fails to tell myself that I, as a human being, have failed in all possible ways; and that, in life, everything is nothing, like the clouds that’s there right now  but won’t be there when you look at the sky again.

 

14th July 2020: after reading a blog piece I wrote about him:

Somehow the passing of years hasn’t mattered much to me, barring the natural decaying of cells.

Even at this stage of my life, it is relationships that keep me alive, not poetry.

I keep on writing because I must do it.

But my day is with the sky, the grass,

the frail yellow butterflies which move from leaf to leaf, 

without questioning as to why they are alive. 

And I wish I could be one of them. 

But the next moment I am flying, in this my incredible mind…

 

And I go into myself and find there are many like me.

That is the amazing thing about life: you are not one but anyone YOU want to be.

 

We are all blessed beings, to be able to see, hear and smell in this wonderful world.

 

You know, Meenaxi, the sky, the clouds, the breeze are the only reality.

We can’t touch them but they are the source of our dreams.

And because of dreams we are alive.

 

2nd Jan 2021:

Haven’t been able to write, and that breaks my mind.

 

24th Jan. With reference to an interview that has just appeared

Often I am asked about my inspiration…

There is nothing I could name, Meenaxi.

It was just my own life that turned me into poetry;

happenings about which I could not do anything about,

the griefs of childhood which seemed to ease a little when I began writing poetry.

I took refuge in words then, and this habit or whatever continues.

Thank you for believing in me.

 

23rd May 2021:

Frankly, my mind is susceptible to all kinds of thoughts.

But don’t worry, I am weak, I am a coward.

The problem is, at 93, I feel, as if I am 23.

 

12th October 2021

I never imagined poetry would go on raping a ripe old man!

 

Dec 2021, I visit Cuttack

12th Dec.

Me: We go to look for trees on Wednesday, okay?

JM: Yes, trees on Wednesday.

I’m sure they will remember seeing us

and how we loved seeing them

50 years from now.

 

16th Dec. 2021 After my visit

The sun is out.

And the flowers that sway in the breeze.

You too, are part of all that.

 

9th Jan 2022:  Ill with vertigo etc.

Let’s celebrate we are alive!

We have sunshine

We have flowers

Birds call and go past

This is happiness Meenaxi

 

23rd Jan 2022: Got some wine and fried pomfrets delivered to him

Zampa delivered

Three pomfrets

One dumb, one deaf, one blind 😀😀😀

….

I’m a failure

No Meenaxi

I didn’t mean it.

I am a good poet

I published in the New Yorker, so I must be good

 

25th Feb 2022

Back home after 8 days in ICU, Was critical.😊

 

22nd March 2022

At times I am a log burning at one end,

as I keep on watching the other?

Why do I watch?

 

23rd March 2022

My poetry never meant much to me.

Don’t know what exactly poetry is;

But it’s the world outside (you, the stars,

the girl who turned her face away) 

that make the world of the poem.

 

29th March 2022

We all make fools of ourselves, it’s just that we are not aware of it.

 

23rd October 2022

Do days matter Meenaxi?

 

15th Dec 2022

Sarojini passed away early this morning

 

29th Dec 2022

JM: Sarojini’s little daughter-in-law brings me my basic meals.

But for trivial things, I simply cant manage,

Like for example, untying a knot in my pyjamas, I am pushed.

Me: Come and stay with me.

JM: I know I should

I wish I could

 

9th March 2023 On hearing of Sruti’s death

Just stills me. And here, I fall ill and recover.

God’s ways.

Does one need to remember or forget

What one asked of one’s life?

Me: What if one never had a chance to ask?

JM: Don’t ask, Meenaxi

I don’t know

nor do I need to know.

I exist

because I have to

exist, here on earth.

 

9th April: my last meeting with him in Cuttack

I am tired, Meenaxi, I want to lie down and rest, and never wake up.

 

10th April 2023

I do feel helpless at times and cling to whoever shows me a little love.

I know too, I have outlived my life.

 

22nd April 2023

Me: Why no news?

JM: I am so happy in my unhappiness that it makes me mute.

Don’t know

Happiness comes only when you want to be happy.

Me: But why don’t you want to be happy?

JM: Don’t know

Don’t know

I want to. Perhaps I am.

But the stupid fellow that I am,

Happiness does nothing to me.

 

18th May 2023

Who can tell of tomorrow?

Was thinking Meenaxi

After my death, if someone wanted a poem,

They could just use it without thinking of copyright etc issues

There is none of my kin who knows even

Whether I have published a book or not.

But I have friends.

And they matter

Mean so much to me I could give my little leftover life.

I do appreciate you care, your love

I have many friends who care for me

True

Still, I don’t know what I want

Just let this river take me along

No comments:

Post a Comment